Lancaster Country Day School traces its roots to 1908, with the founding of The Shippen School for Girls. The product of a merger of Lancaster College and Miss Stahr's School, The Shippen School was established "to promote the education of girls in a thorough academic course, especially in literature, the sciences, and the fine arts." In 1943, with the closing of nearby Franklin and Marshall Academy for Boys, the Shippen School changed its charter to become coeducational. At that time the name was changed to Lancaster Country Day School. Trustees looked to relocate from the Shippen School building on Lime Street in Lancaster City to a more spacious location that would typify the philosophical purpose and character of a country day school. Land was purchased and in 1949, the doors were opened at our current Hamilton Road location.